A several years ago Mr Pete and Matt invited me skeet shooting at the local gun club. Pete and I brought our 12 gauge's and Matt had a 20 gauge. Matt had never been skeet shooting before.
I was on a rifle team in school and consider myself a pretty good shot with a rifle and pistol. I don't have much experience with skeet shooting. That being said, Pete and I really coached Matt. We gave him our words of wisdom on what to do and not do, how to stand, etc.
Pete and I ended up being pretty consistent hitting 16 - 18 out of 25 clays (5 shots at 5 different stations). We said "See how it's done Matthew?"
As Matt proceeded to shoot his 20 gauge, Pete and I sat behind him on the picnic table watching ... he moved through the stations and hit 23 of 25 his first time out. Pete grumbled ... I did too ... nothing to throw at him ... not close enough to bump him. We may have tried to make a loud noise each time Matt would shoot. I don't remember but that was probably Pete's idea. Anyway, Matt was consistent with scores of 23 to 25 of 25. We both decided Matt's success was due to our stellar instruction and training. Kudos to both of us.
Last year Matt joined the US Marine Corps. He was thinking about becoming an MP. While in basic training he was recognized for his shooting ability. Ultimately he was selected and put on a special team. Matt has had much more training (not by Pete and Me) in the Marines.
Matt came home last week before being deployed. Pete, Matt, and Amanda decided to go the an indoor range to shoot pistols. I was working and couldn't get away.
Friendly competition ensued. Pete shot ... Amanda shot ... Matt shot ... Pete frustrated ... Pete shot some more ... Matt shot ... Pete frustrated ...Pete shot some more ... Matt proceeded to shoot several bulls eyes ... Pete frustrated ... Pete shot some more ... Matt proceeded to shoot the staples that were holding Pete's target on the cardboard backing ... Pete's target falls to the ground. PETE REALLY FRUSTRATED ... Matt and Amanda LAUGHING at Pete ... POOR PETE ...
I wasn't there but wish I could have seen that.
How do you trash talk someone who shoots like that? I challenged Matt to a competition when he comes back from Afghanistan. I told him I wouldn't be nice and let him win like his old man did ... Hmm ... that wasn't effective trash talk as he laughed at me.
At this point, I need to develop a strategy to avoid being crushed by Matt in competition like Mr. Pete was. I am open for suggestions!!
So far:
I may feel sick that day.
My pistol is with the gunsmith.
I broke my index finger so I can't pull a trigger.
Pete and I may be training others that day.
My contacts went bad and I broke my glasses.
The shooting range has run out of staples.
Pray for our Troops ... Pray for Matt. His team deployed to Afghanistan on March 14, 2011.
SEARCH MY BLOG using KEY WORDS
About My Blog
- ActionshotsNH
- ActionshotsNH combines my passion for outdoor adventure and photography. I share family adventures, hiking, hunting, fishing, 4-wheeling, motorcycles, cars, skydiving, aerial photography, New England scenery, foliage, barns, and the outdoors through photos and stories from the places and experiences I enjoy most. CLICK ON PHOTOS IN EACH POST TO ENLARGE THEM.
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Translate
POPULAR POSTS FROM MY BLOG.
-
On this trip we planned to go to the Barrett Jackson auto auction, do some sightseeing, and visit family and friends. We flew from Boston ...
-
When walking in Beaver Brook I take my camera just in case I see something interesting. I found a couple nice areas where the deer co...
-
My dad was born in 1929 and grew up in Michigan. As a teen in early the 1940’s, he bought a Springfield 87M .22 rifle from his youth pas...
-
I enjoy taking pictures and am always on the lookout for a nice barn when we drive or hike. As a child, my family would visit my ...
-
I’ve been thinking about doing a blog post on reflections. But then I found myself wondering: should I show the subject that creates the ref...
-
My recent firearm purchase was for a conceal/carry gun. What caliber? I was thinking .380. From my .380 research the Kahr P380 was ...
-
With foliage descending on New England , I decided to drive to the Northeast Kingdom (NEK) of Vermont to take pictures. I had planned to g...
-
I have been doing a fair amount of hiking this summer. I go out several times a week and walk in the woods between 4 and 6 miles. I enjoy ...
-
Our 2022 Kennebunkport vacation is now in the books. We ended up renting 2 houses again due to the growing family size and schedule. We re...
-
My friend Gary and his wife Beth went to visit their kids in Alabama . Beth took a hunter safety course so she could go deer hunting . O...



No comments:
Post a Comment