SEARCH MY BLOG using KEY WORDS

About My Blog

My photo
I enjoy doing fun things outdoors. Family adventures, hunting, fishing, hiking, photography, 4 wheeling, etc. Get out there and enjoy ... NOTE: PLEASE CLICK ON MY PHOTOS IN THE BLOG POST SO THEY WILL BECOME LARGER.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shooting with Matt

A several years ago Mr Pete and Matt invited me skeet shooting at the local gun club.  Pete and I brought our 12 gauge's and Matt had a 20 gauge.  Matt had never been skeet shooting before. 

I was on a rifle team in school and consider myself a pretty good shot with a rifle and pistol.  I don't have much experience with skeet shooting.  That being said, Pete and I really coached Matt.  We gave him our words of wisdom on what to do and not do, how to stand, etc.

Pete and I ended up being pretty consistent hitting 16 - 18 out of 25 clays (5 shots at 5 different stations).  We said "See how it's done Matthew?" 

As Matt proceeded to shoot his 20 gauge, Pete and I sat behind him on the picnic table watching ... he moved through the stations and hit 23 of 25 his first time out.  Pete grumbled ... I did too ... nothing to throw at him ... not close enough to bump him.  We may have tried to make a loud noise each time Matt would shoot.  I don't remember but that was probably Pete's idea.  Anyway, Matt was consistent with scores of 23 to 25 of 25.  We both decided Matt's success was due to our stellar instruction and training.  Kudos to both of us.

Last year Matt joined the US Marine Corps.  He was thinking about becoming an MP.  While in basic training he was recognized for his shooting ability.  Ultimately he was selected and put on a special team.  Matt has had much more training (not by Pete and Me) in the Marines.

Matt came home last week before being deployed.  Pete, Matt, and Amanda decided to go the an indoor range to shoot pistols.  I was working and couldn't get away.

Friendly competition ensued.  Pete shot ... Amanda shot ... Matt shot ... Pete frustrated ... Pete shot some more ... Matt shot ... Pete frustrated ...Pete shot some more ... Matt proceeded to shoot several bulls eyes ... Pete frustrated ... Pete shot some more ... Matt proceeded to shoot the staples that were holding Pete's target on the cardboard backing ... Pete's target falls to the ground.  PETE REALLY FRUSTRATED ... Matt and Amanda LAUGHING at Pete ... POOR PETE ...

I wasn't there but wish I could have seen that. 

How do you trash talk someone who shoots like that?   I challenged Matt to a competition when he comes back from Afghanistan.   I told him I wouldn't be nice and let him win like his old man did ... Hmm ... that wasn't effective trash talk as he laughed at me. 

At this point, I need to develop a strategy to avoid being crushed by Matt in competition like Mr. Pete was.  I am open for suggestions!!

So far:
I may feel sick that day.
My pistol is with the gunsmith.
I broke my index finger so I can't pull a trigger.
Pete and I may be training others that day.
My contacts went bad and I broke my glasses.
The shooting range has run out of staples.

Pray for our Troops ... Pray for Matt.  His team deployed to Afghanistan on March 14, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

POPULAR POSTS FROM MY BLOG.