SEARCH MY BLOG using KEY WORDS

About My Blog

My photo
I enjoy doing fun things outdoors. Family adventures, hunting, fishing, hiking, photography, 4 wheeling, etc. Get out there and enjoy ... NOTE: PLEASE CLICK ON MY PHOTOS IN THE BLOG POST SO THEY WILL BECOME LARGER.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Damaged Goods ... That Loud Hissing Sound

Outdoor Blogger Network (OBN) was prompting us to write something about “Damaged Goods”.  How we broke our own stuff.  What to choose?  My multi tool being knocked off the dock while fishing in Canada … backing into a tree with the tailgate down … snapping the tip of my fishing pole off in a car door … stuff like that. 

Years ago I had been hunting in Vermont with my hunting buddies.  Early on a Sunday morning I drove my Toyota Landcruiser (FJ60) a half mile down a logging trail and backed into a place just big enough for me to park.  When we got out I heard something I didn’t want to hear.  I heard that loud hissing sound of air escaping from my left rear tire.  I slit a sidewall on the rocks on the trail.  Damaged Goods    It wasn’t light yet and the guys said we would hunt until late morning and worry about it then.  Sure … Right … My Thought Too … NOT …
Late morning we arrived back at my truck.  How about “AAA+” I said … I was laughed at since we were in the middle of the woods of Vermont a half mile from any real road. 

I didn’t have a 4-way with me so I had to use the tire iron that came with the truck.  We had a hard time securing the jack in the mud so we put rocks under the jack to get the truck off the ground. 

The lugs were very tight.   When I tried to losten the first one I couldn't keep the tire iron straight so I ended up shearing off a lug nut.  I skipped one and sheared off a second lug nut.  Not good.  (now I use Anti-Seize and carry a 4-way when I go off road)  One of the other guys drove off and came back with a 4-way.  With the 4-way we were able to get the others off.  I sheared off 2 of 6 lugs but at least they weren’t together.  The spare tire was under the truck.  It hadn’t been raised or lowered by me in years so the crank was frozen with rust.  We couldn’t break the spare free and lower it down.  
We had no choice but to take my tire and head 30 miles south to the nearest town that would have a garage open on Sunday afternoon.  When we arrived I wanted to buy a used Goodyear Wrangler tire to match my others but no luck.  I settled on a used Firestone for $40.  He told me he had used tires coming in the next day and may have some used Goodyear’s then. 
The next day I packed up and headed for home.  I stopped at the garage on my way by.  I noticed they did receive a big pile of used tires that morning.  The man looked through the tires and ended up finding a Goodyear Wrangler that looked like it was in pretty good shape.  $50 … I told him I’d take it.  He took the Firestone off and put the Goodyear on, replaced the valve, then pumped it up.  In a matter of seconds I heard that loud hissing sound again.  It was coming from the sidewall … IT WAS MY OLD TIRE ... The guy tried to sell my old tire back to me … DAMAGED GOODS  … Needless to say I had him put the Firestone back on and I continued home. 
Due to family expansion … several months later I had to sell my Landcruiser and buy a mini van (man card please).  With no truck I felt like Damaged Goods …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

POPULAR POSTS FROM MY BLOG.