SEARCH MY BLOG using KEY WORDS

About My Blog

My photo
I enjoy doing fun things outdoors. Family adventures, hunting, fishing, hiking, photography, 4 wheeling, etc. Get out there and enjoy ... NOTE: PLEASE CLICK ON MY PHOTOS IN THE BLOG POST SO THEY WILL BECOME LARGER.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Hunting Adventures - 2012

If you haven’t heard by now Steve aka Sevey is no longer a bow hunting virgin.  Yes he ended his 25+ year bow hunting dry spell last weekend on a nice 115 lb doe.  It was quite a story because unbeknownst to Sevey, he his brother Rick were both shooting at the same deer.


It went like this:

  • Sevey shoots….and misses (very typical)
  • Deer runs off…towards Rick
  • Rick shoots…not sure if he hit it?
  • Deer trots back towards Sevey again
  • Sevey shoots…he scores…but even Sevey can’t quite believe it
  • Deer runs off
  • Steve sees Rick….. indicates a blood trail
  • Rick assumes what most people would that he hit the deer given Sevey’s poor track record bow hunting.
  • But low and behold, lighting does occasionally strike twice and the Bow hunting God looked down on Steve and had pity…Sevey killed the deer.
  • Steve smoked a very satisfying cigarette over the kill.

We older hunters have hunted together for 20 years in the Northeast.  We have loads of stories which inspired me to start my blog.  We also raised our children hunting, fishing, camping, etc. and I wish I had the pictures and stories written down. 



Our children grew up and started hunting on their own.  They took it upon themselves to take it to the next level and started doing things that we older guys looked at and said “nope … too old for that … “.  We started calling them “Dirty Hunters” for their efforts.  We would question their tactics, mock them, trash talk, and get a jab in any chance we could.  It wasn’t because they were doing anything illegal, but because we were too old to participate (Different stage of life).  All they do is point to the pictures of their success. 



I should explain what we mean by a “Dirty Hunter”.  It starts with Time … and I mean lots of time in the woods; scouting, trail cameras, multiple tree stands, swamps, mapping out a plan, etc.  This has included: 

  • Time … they spend so much time I the woods before the season starts scouting and preparing.
  • Getting up early to get to their stand hours before sunrise. 3:30AM is too early for me.
  • Wearing hip or chest waders to go deep into the swamps where the big deer hide during the season.  Maybe I’m too old but if I have to go in to waist or chest deep water to get to my tree stand I put it in the wrong place.
  • Paddling a canoe across rivers if necessary to get to their tree stands.  (Included loading deer into the canoe, going back across the river to the truck)
  • Becoming proficient with deer bleets, blats, grunts, etc to bring them in.
  • Legally bow hunting in areas that you wouldn’t expect the deer or the deer hunter to be. 


The last bullet reminds me of Ryan who had another “DH” successful hunt this year with what we called his “Taco Bell” buck.   He was bow hunting in a quiet area … morning after morning the only thing he heard was “Welcome to Taco Bell … May I take your order please?”  He took this buck we named the “TACO BELL BUCK”. 



The success of the “DH” group can be seen on my blog from past years of hunting.  10 point, 11 point, 13 point, and heavy deer … There is something to be said about putting in the time scouting before the season and going where the big bucks go in swamps, etc.



The rest of the season played out this way.  We saw little or no acorns, beechnuts, or apples in the woods.  We saw many deer in the fields eating grass but that’s not very nutritious.  Will be interested to see what Fish & Game says about the winter kill.  Hopefully 2013 will have more food in the woods.



We were out of town for NH Youth weekend.  Kevin took a 115lb doe Youth Weekend in Vermont.  I hunted Vermont rifle opening weekend.  3 point rule, buck only.  I saw 2 spike horns and 3 does.  Many more does in the fields.  The first buck was heavy and I couldn’t believe it was a spike.  There was a 3rd point on one side but not countable (at least an inch long).  If it was NH I would have taken it.  The second buck was small with spikes that looked like pencils.  I wouldn’t have taken that one even if it was legal.  Needs to grow up …  



Mike and I hunted two new areas sitting on runs that led to the grassy fields.  No luck spotting bucks.  I am interested in going back to those areas next year. 



The following weekend I hunted in NH.  I saw 5 does … and no bucks … nuts …   That was it for my hunting time in NH. 



Sevey took a doe, Rick a doe, Ryan a 7 point and a 4 point, Derek a 7 point and a doe, Stephen a doe, Mike skunked, James skunked, Brian skunked … Doug didn't even hunt this year!!!  There were way too many tags unfilled ... 



There’s always next year… 

Go to: "Search This Blog" at the top of my page and type in hunting to see past posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

POPULAR POSTS FROM MY BLOG.