SEARCH MY BLOG using KEY WORDS

About My Blog

My photo
I enjoy doing fun things outdoors. Family adventures, hunting, fishing, hiking, photography, 4 wheeling, etc. Get out there and enjoy ... NOTE: PLEASE CLICK ON MY PHOTOS IN THE BLOG POST SO THEY WILL BECOME LARGER.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

NH Ice Fishing Derby - Lake Winnipesaukee 2011

Rick and Steven stopped by my house on Friday to pick up fire wood.  They were staying at David's over the weekend.
I would head up with Kevin early Saturday morning and meet them on the ice.  Kevin had been out of school and running a temperature so he ended up staying home.  I planned to be on the road by 6:00AM.  I woke up at 4:30AM (no idea why!).  I loaded up, stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, and headed north. 
Jed, John and their crew were going to Spindle Point.  I met Rick and Steven just after the bridge on Moultonborough Neck. 
I parked off the road. I was hesitant to drive my truck on the ice although there were other trucks out there.  The morning temperature was 6 degrees.  The sun came out briefly but was blocked by clouds much of the day. 
Steve and Rick were set up when I arrived.  They had just finished drilling the holes in the ice and the tip ups were out.  Steve made his famous breakfast sandwiches on the grill.  We had lots of food in case others showed up. 

We met Chris and his son David fishing next to us.  They had come up the night before and set up.  They were sleeping in an ice shanty with -40 degree bags and a propane heater right out on the ice.  If you have the proper equipment it would be fun.  They caught several cusk and some perch but none big enough for the board.  Rick caught a very nice salmon that he quickly released as salmon are protected this time of year. 
There were some interesting ice houses on the lake.  As usual, the game warden stopped by to check licenses and the number of traps we had set up. 

Enjoyable afternoon.  It warmed up to 31 degrees however, the wind picked up so it felt much colder. 
Late afternoon I ended up driving my truck on the ice.  As I parked I was talking to Chris and David and the ice made a huge popping noise.  I remember long ago what Doug said "If we go through the ice just follow your bubbles!!"  David said that was the ice settling.  eek ...

One truck on the ice got stuck near us.  The driver was trying to keep up his momentum as he passed us but the back end of his truck started bouncing around as he passed by.  As the truck continued to bounce the ice around us started to move up and down also.  That was a very strange feeling.  We ended up pushing him to get him moving again.  Many of the houses near shore had their docks raised so they wouldn't be crushed by the ice. 
There wasn't much fish action for us.  We packed up around 4:15PM.  Rick and Steve headed for David's house to start making their big spaghetti dinner.  The crew from Spindle Point was joining them.  I couldn't stay so I headed home.  Hopefully the gang will have better luck Sunday.  Rick said they may fish near One Mile Island tomorrow. 

I stopped at the board on the way to look at the fish that had come in for the day.   There were some big fish in each category.  The rainbow trout were very colorful.  There were lots of ice huts, people, snow machines, and ATV's on the ice.  They had helicopter rides also.  It would been fun to take Kevin up so we could see the lake and Red Hill from the air.

Ice Fishing is relaxing and fun especially with friends and family. Get out there and take your family fishing ...


Search Blog Archive: February 2012, January 2010 & February 2009 - for more Winnipesaukee Ice Fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

POPULAR POSTS FROM MY BLOG.